Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Rise in Popularity of the Kilt

Recently there was a topic posted on xmarksthescot.com about the rise in the popularity of the kilt, I thought I'd share my response here as well, of course having read it over I've added to the last bit. 

I've been thinking about this one for a bit now, good topic by the way. I'm not sure I can touch on the rise in popularity, I can really only speak for myself. I started wearing the kilt as an expression of my heritage, it had for me anyway absolutely nothing to do with comfort or rebellion. The first time I wore one in my adult years was at my twin brothers wedding, at the time I commented that I should have done this a long time ago.

After that I was given my Dad's old kilt and wore it to a heritage night at work, I'm certain my outfit back then would have been added to the kilt don't thread, be that as it may, I learned what was correct. At the same time I had encouragement at work to wear it again and so started wearing my kilt 2 or 3 times a week, I bought more kilts and now I have enough that I can and do wear one every day.

I think in a larger sense the internet and in particular xmarksthescot.com has done much for the rise in the popularity of the kilt worldwide, it showed me anyway that I was not alone in my desire to wear the kilt, and to embrace that part of my heritage. 

As for cheap kilts helping I'm not completely sold on that idea, my reasons are that while there is no doubt they would be comfortable, they just do not look as good and do not last as long and therefore they may indeed be a hindrance. As I see it a traditional hand sewn kilt that looks great, that can be passed down to the next generation, a kilt that can look good with a t-shirt or with a doublet is the most economical way to go. Another thing that bothers me about the cheap knock off kilts is that this is my heritage being perverted, how do other groups feel when their symbols their national dress etc. are knocked off for the cheapest price and then marked up astronomically? 

3 comments:

Duchess McKinnon said...

Ah! I finally figured out why this post as always looked strange. No picture!

Kristopher A. Denby said...

It seems that you have conflicting opinions. In the Halloween post you say that the kilt is just another article of clothing. However, here you are a bit irritated by the fact that "your heritage" is being (I think you mean to say) PERverted. This all comes across as a bit...snobbish. That may be too harsh a word, though. I would never have gotten into wearing kilts if it hadn't been for the cheaper poly-vis kilt companies. And now I have decided that I like wearing mine enough that I have a desire to step it up and get a more expensive one. The SWK's of the world allow the kilt interested to get into the act of wearing and identifying with their own heritage without handing over a half week's pay.

Unknown said...

K.A. Denby
To each their own, I was lucky enough that my first kilt was given to me and was a 16oz Hand Sewn Kilt made in Scotland. The thing is it was given to me by my Dad, had he gone out and bought an SWK or something of the same quality, I am certain it would not have lasted long enough to be handed down.

I suppose it is possible that the Stillwaters et al may get people into wearing the kilt, that however is not my story, and I'm still not sold on it.