Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Royal Stewart Kilt





So here is the story, a few months ago Bradley had told me to check out the Fraser Kirkbright Remnants page as there was a tartan I'd like in 16oz wool, they had 10 yards of it for sale double width. I went over and bought 5 yards and had Gordon send it to Barb, after getting a quote from Barb. So this is where the time starts to crawl, finally Barb sends me test pinnings, and we decide on the pleating. Now the time really starts to crawl, I swear some days it goes backward, anyway after all is said and done, Barb emails me last Friday I think and says it will be ready Monday, well talk about a long weekend. I decided just in case to go down on Tuesday, I had lots to do Monday. Monday night rolls around and I can not sleep, so I wake up at 3:00 am and think to myself this is entirely too early, I awake again at 4:00 am, get dressed and hit the road, making it down to Hamilton College in 5 hours.

Barbs work is yet again second to none, it really is worth the drive to come down and get a kilt from her as they are always a work of art. The fit is perfect as well, I can see this kilt becoming a favourite just from the fit alone, again Barb is truly an artist, thank you again Barb. The wool from Fraser Kirkbright is a softer hand than the XMarks tartan from them, it really has a different feel than any other wool kilt I've got, it is not as soft as the DC Daglesh wool which really is the Rolls Royce of wool, but it's not far off. 


Not only did Barb have my kilt but she also had one for Hendry, so I suggested that I bring it up for him, too bad we aren't the same size or this would have been a very good trip indeed. It was great to see both Barb and Dave again, I only wish you two weren't 5 hours away.Upon leaving with my new kilt, I called Hendry with my ransom demands and the drop will be made later in the week so I'll let him tell you about his kilt after the deed is done. Perhaps I should start McMurdos' Kilt Shipping or some such thing.

No comments: